Nuffnang

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

guitar Teachers

Continuing from my last post.. (Nagging Auntie)
I think what Poh really deposited in my heart was the passion and love for God that he really has. The thing that he shared about a moving target was awesome.

I remember what Yongxiu shared with me when I was starting out to play
for the cell group. She said that for every song I played for the cell group, I must have a revelation of the song for my own life and for the cell group. That was what Poh shared during the clinic as well.

So many times, heart-felt worship would change the atmosphere of a place.
Worship is a time when I feel closest to God,
Its a time when my spirit and heart would be the most broken to God.
Its a time when God reveals His heart to us. Its a time when I am comforted from all that I am experiencing.

And when He had removed him, He raised up for them David as king, to whom also He gave testimony and said, ‘I have found David, the son of Jesse, a man after My own heart, who will do all My will.’
- Acts 13:22

But now your kingdom shall not continue. The LORD has sought for Himself a man after His own heart, and the LORD has commanded him to be commander over His people, because you have not kept what the LORD commanded you.”
1 Sam 13:14
What's your revelation during your own quiet time? I just wanna love my God and what He loves more and more.. Thats all I want..
I WANT TO SING
UNTIL I AM LOST IN YOUR LOVE
TILL I'M FOUND IN YOUR PRESENCE
WORSHIPPING BEFORE YOUR THRONE

MOVE BY YOUR SPIRIT
ENTERING INTO YOUR FLOW
HOW PRECIOUS THIS MOMENT
LORD I WANT YOU TO KNOW

IT'S YOU, YOU WHO HAVE WON MY HEART
TAKEN ME INTO YOUR ARMS
COMFORTED ME LIKE A FRIEND

YOUR LOVE
SURROUNDED ME FROM THE START
I NEVER WANT TO BE APART
FROM YOU EVER AGAIN

Passion is something that leads us to wanting to learn more,
Interest is just I don't mind learning more.

Yet many times as Cell Group guitarist, we get complacent with our level of playing and learning, Our pride gets in the way. Usually, a cell group guitarist learns how to play the guitar FOR FREE! And we get complacent, not treasuring the times we have with our teachers, not honouring them as how we should. For the two teachers who taught me almost all the basic techniques that made me who I am, THANK YOU!!!!

They are........

Andy!
Andy was the one who taught me all the fundamentals. From a young, anyhow guitarist who chooses the songs to play for cell group (because can only play a few songs, so whatever Xiu wants may not be able to play) and one knows how to play G, Em, C, D to be able to play the barred chords. Remember that he haven't bought his own guitar yet and was playing a classical guitar with a huge sticker in front. But it was with that guitar that he taught me the power chords and all those as well. Thanks Andy, the sticker classical guitar and the pavilion near your place!

Wei Ming- Jo
Oh!!! This one is the power-packed one! Wei Ming was the one who taught me how to shuffle, strum with the 'piak' (sorry linda) sound, play 3-beat songs (killer!). He was also the one who taught me the dynamics of guitar for Praise and Worship. He also taught me all the Stylo-Mylo patterns and tricks for Praise. And his guitar is VERY heavy! The Ibanez 12-string guitar! Super solid and sounds like marachas. (The got handle kind-of-instrument with beans inside. Plus many people will not understand will it sounds like marachas. Hahaha!!!) He's super cool de lar!

And finally! This person didn't really teach me. But he impacted me tremendously!

Ivan!(left)
Man!!! Many of you may not know him. He is serving the nation now. But he is the best guitarist in our zone. Really the BEST! A word of praise from him about your guitar playing is like going to heaven already. I remember playing for make-up cell group for Chee Kiong and Ivan attended that cell group. When I saw Ivan, I got very nervous! Haha! Cos ar.. really stress when he was there. Its like Rooney or C.Ronaldo is here then you have to play football with them. Haha!
But after the cell group, he came up to me and say, "Hey, you are quite good ar!" Man.. I flew...
He then casually took up the guitar and played casually. But the problem is, what he is playing isn't quite casual at all. Haha! Plus, he is Poh's student. Goodness gracious me. Really inspired and encouraged by what he said. So if someone comes up to me and say that I am a lousy guitarist, I am secured. IVAN said I played well... HAHA!! Praise God!

No comments: